VŠTE:ATP_1 English for Civil Engineering - Course Information
ATP_1 English for Civil Engineering studentsInstitute of Technology and Business in České Budějovice
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Zdeněk Caha, Ph.D., MBA, MSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jindřiška Kraťková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Michaela Němcová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Veronika Vítková (seminar tutor)
Milan Hájek (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jindřiška Kraťková
Centre of language services - Faculty of Corporate Strategy - Rector - Institute of Technology and Business in České Budějovice
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ATP_1/K7: Sun 11. 3. 8:00–9:30 B3, 9:40–11:10 B3, Sun 25. 3. 15:15–16:45 B3, 16:50–18:20 B3, 18:25–19:55 B3, M. Němcová, Kombinovaná forma
ATP_1/S01: Thu 14:45–16:15 D515, J. Kraťková
- recommended meeting of the requirements of the subjects AJP_1 a AJP_2
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives supported by learning outcomes
- The expected entry level of students is A2/B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The output level is B2 with a focus on professional and academic language of a studied field. The course consists of 2 modules that head towards the fixed output level. Module 1 The target of the course is a gradual development of communicative skills needed for engineering practice in the construction industry. The basic premise is the technical terminology active management of a studied field in a range of specified thematic areas. The emphasis is placed on the development of dialogic skills, understanding of the professional texts and communication skills associated with presenting technical topics from the construction.
- 1. Civil engineering - branches 2. Building materials 3. Various shape constructions and dimensions 4. Construction planning 5. Building operation - preparation and construction 6. Building operation - shapes and dimensions 7. Technical equipment of buildings, underground services and communications 8. Work with current professional texts - such as renovation of buildings 9. Work with current professional texts - such as urbanisms 10. Work with current professional texts - such as urban planning 11. Work with current professional texts - such as satellite town design 12. Work with current professional texts - such as job positions in construction 13. Work with current professional texts - such as social housing
- required literature
- KASÍKOVÁ, S., HORKÁ, H., NIVENOVÁ, R., SEDLÁKOVÁ, V.: English for Civil Engineering. Praha : ČVUT, 2007. 181 s. ISBN 978-80-01-03786-7.
- not specified
- HANÁK, M. et al. Architektonický a stavební slovník anglicko-český. Plzeň : FRAUS, 1998. 721 s. ISBN 80-7238-024-9.
- JÍLKOVÁ, I., ŠULISTOVÁ, J. Study Materials for Civil Engineering English I. 1. vydání. České Budějovice : Vysoká škola technická a ekonomická v Českých Budějovicích, 2010. 36 s. ISBN 978-80-87278-45-1.
- Forms of Teaching
- Teaching Methods
- Frontal Teaching
Group Teaching - Cooperation
Individual Work– Individual or Individualized Activity
Teaching Supported by Multimedia Technologies
- Student Workload
Activities Number of Hours of Study Workload Daily Study Combined Study Preparation for the Mid-term Test 10 10 Preparation for Seminars, Exercises, Tutorial 11 27 Preparation for an oral presentation 5 5 Attendance on Seminars/Exercises/Tutorial/Excursion 26 10 Total: 52 52
- Assessment Methods and Assesment Rate
- presentation / oral task 20 %
midterm test 40 %
midterm test 40 %
- Exam conditions
- To write two tests and present one oral presentation. Test 1 is written in the first half of the semester, test 2 at the end of the semester. The oral presentation is held in accordance with the schedule set by the teacher of the course.
The score corresponds to the percentage ratio of assessment methods (the oral speech maximum of 20 points, test 1 maximum of 40 points and test 2 40 points, maximum of all parts 100 points). For the successful completion of the course, the students have to achieve at least 70%, or 70 points from all parts.
There is a possibility of writing these two tests during one lesson due to the time possibilities for the students of the combine study. However, the the number of the requireed points is the same (2 x 40 points).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.